Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Lauren's Broken Foot

Last Saturday we spent the day shopping for all the food and other things we needed for our week long camping trip. We had loaded up our shopping cart at Costco with lots of heavy items and was on our way to the truck when Lauren tripped and fell right in front of the cart that Paul was pushing. When she fell, she landed on her side with both feet on top of each other and the shopping cart went up onto her feet and they were trapped under the cart. She cried a little but seemed to be ok. When we arrived home a few minutes later, Paul tried putting her shoes on her and she started screaming. He took her into the house and sure enough, her little foot was swollen and she would not put any pressure on it. We took her to the ER for an x-ray and she has two broken bones in the top of her foot. They put a splint on it and sent us home. I was worried how this would affect our trip since we were scheduled to leave early Monday morning and I was to make an appointment with an orthopedic doctor. So first thing Monday morning I called our insurance to let them know and then I had to call her primary care physician. I was a little frustrated in the beginning that they said I had to bring her into their office in order for them to give us a referral to the orthopedic doctor but in the end it was a great move. When we got to the doctor, I told them the situation and that we were loaded and ready to leave on vacation but she was top priority and we were not leaving until we knew she would be ok to go. The doctor was awesome and said she would call her favorite orthopedic doctor who happened to be a good friend of hers. The orthopedic doctor was able to pull up the x-rays that the hospital had taken and said that we could come in right away for a cast. So instead of leaving at 8 am like we had planned, we left at 1 pm but everything turned out great and we were able to have an enjoyable vacation. I think Paul's back got a little tired at times from having to carry Lauren everywhere but thankfully he is in good physical shape and can handle an extra 40 lbs on those big hikes. Lauren enjoys telling people that her daddy ran over her foot and poor Paul feels so badly about it.




2 comments:

Dorcas said...

Oh, my! That poor little girl. I hope it heals perfectly without any problems. It's always something it seems! Glad your camping trip went okay other than that!

Phil.n.Jenn said...

Lauren that is the prettiest purple cast i have ever seen! I hope it heals fast for you!!