Saturday, October 17, 2009

Journey across the Country

As most of you know by now, we moved from Monterey, CA on September 25. Our day started out with Paul's graduation and then to the airport to pick up Paul's brother, Stephen. He flew out to help us drive one of the trucks from California to Florida. After picking him up at the airport, we went back to the house and packed up the final things, finished the final cleaning and turned in the keys to our house. Our first stop was San Diego where we spent the night and then did a little sight seeing the next morning. I was able to tour the Marine base where my dad went through boot camp many years ago. It was neat being able to see it after hearing him talk about it all these years. The next few days were spent driving and enjoying all the scenery. I didn't think we would ever make it across Texas. Even with the 80 mph speed limit, 880 miles is a long time to be in one state. We ended up getting stopped by the Border Patrol several times. They always wanted to know where we were coming from, where we were going, what we were hauling and if we were US citizens. Interstate 10 is right on the US/Mexico border at times. We had a really good trip and enjoyed having Stephen with us. He was a huge help and Kaitlyn enjoyed spending time with Uncle Stephen in the big moving truck.

We are very thankful for a safe trip but we did have one scary thing happen along the way. Stephen was driving the Penske Truck and I was driving our truck pulling our 20 ft. trailer. Stephen was ahead of me in the right lane and I was in the passing lane. All of a sudden I saw all brake lights ahead of me and Stephen swerved over into the lane in front of me. I slammed on the brakes and thankfully was able to stop just in time before I hit him. As he was driving down the interstate, there was a car in front of him driving in the passing lane (he was in the right lane) and he watched the car swerve into the right lane and then lost control and ended up in the ditch. A truck driving down the interstate lost it's trailer with a concrete mixer on it and it was sitting in the passing lane and was just over a dip where you could not see it until you were on it. In an instant, Stephen, knowing I was flying down that passing lane swerved over into the lane to keep me from hitting the thing. Of course I had to slam on my brakes to not hit him but I could see him. I would not have seen that thing in the road until I was on it. I am so thankful for his quick thinking and reaction. I know God has his hand on us that night. I was shaking for quite a while after that ordeal. Stephen kept his truck in the road until he and Paul could help those guys get their mess out of the road. I went and checked on the people in the car and they were both fine. The husband said "I'm glad my wife knows how to drive, I guess the drag racing paid off".

We were happy to arrive in Panama City Beach. We went and looked at houses the next day and was able to sign the lease the day after. We like our house here and we are enjoying the beautiful area. Paul starts Dive School on Tuesday but I will leave that for another post.


Our moving trucks


Marine Corp Recruit Depot San Diego


The Sailor and Marine (Paul and Stephen) trying out the pull up bars.


Where my Dad trained in Boot Camp


Girls posing in front of Papa's flag (Marine Flag)


Kaitlyn giving us a wave.


New Mexico


Arizona


Lauren


Arizona

5 comments:

Rebekah said...

Wow! Thank the Lord he protected you guys on that long trip. We were praying for you.

Esther Asbury said...

Been thinking about you all lately and wondering how you were doing. Glad you made it to Florida safely! Thank the Lord for His protective hand on you!

Anonymous said...

Glad you arrived safely. I'm sure your dad was pretty happy that you stopped by his old stomping grounds:)Like the truck by the way.

Dorcas said...

So glad that God had His hand on you all as you made that long move across the country!!! Hope you get settled in soon and can enjoy life :o)

Faith said...

Whew!! I find myself so many times singing that "little" song that says, "All day, all night, angels watching over me, my Lord..." Thank the Lord for His protection. Wow!!

Glad you were able to find a house so smoothly... hopefully we will get to come see you all in this one! =) Love you all!! * hugs *