One year ago, was a very exciting and special day in our family. Paul arrived home, after serving a year in Iraq, as an Electronic Warfare Officer.
Here is how this journey began: It was a normal day in February 2006, I was at home doing my normal daily routine, when the phone rang. It was Paul calling me from work, which was not unusual but what he had to tell me about blew me away. The phone conversation went something like this: (Paul) Well, my name showed up on the list today. (Belinda) What list? (Paul) The list for Iraq. (Belinda) So, what does that mean? (Paul) It means I'm on the list to go to Iraq. (Belinda) So when will you go? (Paul) In two weeks. I won't tell you how the rest of the conversation went, but I am sure you can only imagine. I still don't know why he gave me the news over the phone!! I think he was in so much shock himself, that he didn't even think of how I would react. Only a few weeks before that, Paul had talked to his detailer who told him he was not on any list to be sent anywhere. You learn that things like that can change real fast in the military. The Army decided they needed some help learning how to use some of their equipment, so they called up 300 Navy guys to go over and train them. We were scrambling to get things in order for him to leave in two weeks. There are so many thing to consider when you husband is going to be gone that long. As it turned out, his deployment got delayed a few weeks and he did not actually leave until April. We were very relieved to have this extra time to get things in order and we were able to take a little vacation and attend his brothers wedding before he left. The first two weeks were spent training in South Carolina. I was able to drive down both weekends to be with him before he left. The first weekend my dear friends, Phil and Lisa Boardman went down with me and we all had a nice weekend together. The second weekend the girls and I went alone. It was a long drive home after dropping him off that morning. You can only imagine all the thoughts that go through your mind when you are leaving your husband and very best friend and not knowing what will happen and if you will ever see him again. I feel very fortunate because I ended up being able to talk with Paul almost every day either by phone or IM. People always ask me how I did it and all I can say is that God had to help me. I felt strong most of the time. I had awesome friends to spend time with (thanks Boardman's and Alexanders), and I was able to spend a little time with my family in Indiana. Paul ended up being able to come home for two weeks at Thanksgiving, which was wonderful but so hard to say goodbye again when he had to go. As homecoming day was approaching, the girls and I were making plans for Daddy's return. I had homecoming shirts made for the girls and a big banner to hang on our front porch. The day finally arrived and Paul was to fly into the Norfolk airport. His flight from Baltimore to Norfolk ended up getting canceled so he and a couple other guys who were very anxious to get home, rented a car and drove the last few hours home. What a wonderful sight it was, to see that car pull up in front of the house and know that he was safe and sound. I feel very lucky to be here in Monterey for these two years, knowing that he won't be going away again for a while. That's life in the military and something you have to get used to as a military spouse. I wouldn't want it to be any other way. I love military life and I'm proud of the "very important" job my husband does to serve our country. Following are a few pictures from our year.
Our trip to Florida before Paul left....Lauren was almost 4 months old
A little beach time with Daddy before he leaves
Saying Goodbye at the airport
Daddy and girls before saying goodbye
Karissa saying Goodbye
Kaitlyn saying Goodbye
Lauren saying Goodbye
A row of tents where the guys live
Paul with LTC Norris 
Paul and the Army Chaplain....this is who Paul spent most of his "free time" with...they ran about 40 miles a week
This was his room the last few weeks
Concrete barrier that surrounded the trailers
A Navy man in an Army uniform....my Narmy guy
Full body armor
Paul's ride...he was lucky to have his own vehicle
One of Sadaam's palaces
We had this sign made for homecoming
Sunday, April 20, 2008
Homecoming Anniversary!!
Posted by
Belinda
at
9:27 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



8 comments:
Belinda, thanks so much for sharing that! It made me cry--especially the pictures when he was hugging his sweet little girls goodbye!
I so appreciate your attitude and Paul's willingness to serve us, to help preserve the freedom we can so easily take for granted.
Missed you at IHC! I know you're happy to have your dear hubby home though! God bless you all!
Belinda,
What a wonderful post!! I love your words and the pictures. I don't know what it's like to have your spouse to be deployed but I do know what it's like for my son to be deployed!! It is so hard!! I know what you mean when you say God had to have helped you through it. It's definetely not easy and I couldn't go through this without Him! So many things have happened since Brett's gone and the trials have been many, but God has been there everytime to help us through. And again thanks for the tips you gave me on mailing packages. I think of you everytime I go to the Post Office to mail one to Brett :o)) I'm glad that you know Paul won't be deployed again for a few years!!
Where have I been for 11 days?! I usually am checking your blog a couple times a day!
I know I have said it before, but I'm so glad Paul has such a wonderful wife! And I'm so proud that you have such a wonderful husband! :) We rejoice with you celebrating his very important work and his most welcome homecoming. * hugs to you all *
So glad you posted this Belinda. I knew first hand how hard that was for you when the news came. You did it with God's help...and how thankful we all were to see him back-safe and sound! He had an AWESOME and VERY supportive family waiting for him! Were proud of him too-only Paul and the other guys REALLY felt how it must have been to be so far away for sooo long! Hat's off to you Paul!
What a neat post. I wanted to cry just seeing the girls hugging him good bye, but it was neat seeing the pics of where he was located too. I'm glad he's home, safe and sound!!
I can't imagine what that year was like for you and your girls! I think a week is plenty long for Jonathan to be gone! Your pictures brought tears to my eyes as well seeing those girls hugging their precious daddy!
So glad he is home and you are all together again! Hope he never has to do that again!!!
Belinda,
I enjoyed your post very much. You did a great job of expressing the pain and pride of a military wife.
The only point I differed on was that I WOULD change it if I could - the deployments would be shorter, especially for the children's sake. I was so happy to hear the news that deployments are going from 15 months down to 12.
Thanks for your awesome attitude and all the encouragment it is to know you! :)
Janice
This post brought tears to my eyes. The ones of the girls having to tell their daddy goodbye was very touching.
He is doing a wonderful thing to protect our country I have complete faith in our military men and consider them my heros. Tell him a great big thank you!
Post a Comment