Sunday, June 8, 2008

Karissa's Pumpkin Patch

Finally, for those of you who requested pictures of Karissa's pumpkin patch....here they are.

Karissa has wanted to grow pumpkins for a very long time! Every time we were in the store she would beg me to buy seeds. I finally gave in and had planned to help her plant them somewhere in the yard and hope for the best. When Daddy found out, he had bigger and better plans. He decided that if she wanted to grow pumpkins, that it needed to be done right, so off Karissa and Daddy went to Home Depot. They came home with 2X4's and some kind of wire. Gophers are a big problem around here so Paul thought if he buried some wire under the seeds that it might keep the gophers out. Paul and Karissa dug out a 6 x 12 area and put down the wire. Paul built a frame to put around the outside, then they filled it in with the dirt they bought. Our yard is mostly sand and we were not sure how well they would grow. Anyway, after they got all that done, Karissa and I made three mounds and planted the seeds. She has been watering and waiting every day and finally we are seeing some signs of life. There are about 6 or 8 sprouts that came through in the past couple of days. She was so excited when she saw them. I just hope that between the cats, wild turkeys, coyotes, fox, deer, and gophers that we at least get a couple of pumpkins to grow. Time will tell. Here are pictures especially for Uncle Randy....


Kaitlyn and Karissa transporting supplies


Paul building the frame


Setting up the frame


Karissa and Daddy digging


Karissa watering


First signs of life


More sprouts

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome! I want some pumpkin pie! Karissa should be a farm girl!

Faith said...

Oh my!! You had all these wonderful pics and we almost didn't get to see them!

Looks exciting! These pumpkins will make the best pies of her life. :)

Dorcas said...

You all are making so many wonderful memories!! That is so neat and I sure hope that Karissa's pumpkin patch is a "huge" success with all the wild creatures you mentioned you have out there. Keep us updated with new pictures of this every so often, okay? Belinda, do you scrapbook? If you don't, you should!!

lauralavon said...

It was so much fun to see the first little seed sprouting and shooting up through the dirt! I too would love to get to see the continued progress!

Anonymous said...

lol, I LOVED the pic of the girls transporting supplies. For some reason it struck me funny. I hope her pumpkins grow.

Lisa said...

Awesome guys...I too hope you'll see a harvesting! Maybe they really should marry Belinda...if Karissa liked farming, Logan could then be the farmer, out there plowing the fields (which he would love...) and they would be a happy little farming family!lol... And that would mean uncle Randy could finally get some of Karissa's pumpkin pie! :)

Down Blueberry Lane said...

Good for her, gardening is good for the soul. :)

I am sure she is excited seeing them come up.

Jenn said...

My grandpa let me plant watermelons in his garden one year. They came up just fine, and we got to eat a few seedless watermelons. I think it's great that she wanted to plant something.

Phil.n.Jenn said...

How is the pumkin patch going?