Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Surprise!!!!


The whole clan


One of the beautiful cakes made by Denise and Aunt Gisela. I think Denise decorated this one.


They were shocked!!

Papa and Mamaw with all the grandchildren

My parents celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary this year and we decided we wanted to have a surprise open house for them. They knew we were coming to Indiana for a visit but thought it was a later date. We flew out on June 19 and had an all night flight. We arrived in Indianapolis around 7:30 am on June 20th. We met a couple of friends for breakfast and then to the store to buy all the food and supplies. After that, we headed to my friends mom's house to prepare food. After a long day, we spent the night with my brother, David, and his family.

Saturday morning we all went over and got the building decorated and my parents were to arrive around 1:45. We had asked my Aunt and Uncle to invite them out to dinner and when they picked them up, they would bring them over to the open house instead of the place they thought they were eating. My Uncle told them they needed to stop at the fellowship building to talk to someone real fast before they went to eat. When my parents saw the building decorated, they didn't want to go in. They thought they were interrupting someone else's party. Once they finally came inside, it was a huge surprise for them. They didn't know what to think about all of us being there. The party was a great success with over 100 people attending.

We spent the next two weeks with my parents and got to spend a lot of time with family and friends. We visited the Creation Museum, Indianapolis Zoo, and Kings Island Amusement Park, Paul helped my dad get a lot of work done on their house and mom and I did some shopping.

One of the highlights of our trip was that we were going to spend the 4th of July with the Boardmans. We were looking forward to it so much and had a fun day planned. We were to fly home that night at 9:30. Well, when we went online to do our check-in, they had changed our flight without notifying us. Instead of flying out at 9:30 pm they changed it to 2:30pm. We were so bummed. The boardmans drove all night to meet us but we only got to spend an hour and a half with them. It was so nice to see them. Just wish it had been a longer visit. Thanks Phil and Lisa for driving all night to spend that time with us. We love you all!!! My camera was packed away because of all the rush of having to leave so early so I didn't get any pictures.

7 comments:

Faith said...

Aww... so cool that you pulled off such an outstanding event without the cat ever getting outta the bag! Glad you had such a good visit "back home."

Anonymous said...

You all did a great job in decorating and surprising your parents. It was great being there and seeing everyone again. Glad you made it home safe.

lauralavon said...

I got chills as I read about the sweet surprise for your folks! I would have lots of trouble pulling something like that off! I can't keep a surprise secret! I get too excited myself! : )
So sorry the airline messed up your visit with Boardmans! But so glad you got to be with them at least a short time.
Friends are so valuable!

Jenn said...

Sorry you didn't get to be with Boardmans for very long. I know they were looking forward to seeing you guys. I'm glad they got to see you a little bit. I know they miss you. We do to.
Great pictures! I loved the ones of you guys in the mountains.

Noah and Heather said...

I'm glad you had a great time at "home." Don't you just love and hate airlines?

Noah and Heather said...

You are right. We did just leave there! We have actually been here for 4 months. It seems like a really short time, but in other ways....... A lot has happened. I certainly never expected to need maternity clothes before we left here! =)
After a trip home, we are headed to El Paso. That is going to be quite a switch from what we are used to! I think that the base has a total area of 1.3 million acres. Anyway, the total area is larger than Rhode Island. Not that that is saying much!

Lisa said...

It was great being with you all...