Friday, August 29, 2008

Lauren's Boo Boo

We had to make an emergency trip to the dentist today. I was outside washing windows and the girls were playing. All of a sudden I heard Lauren scream, so I jumped off the ladder to see what was going on. She was walking towards the brick steps and tripped just before getting there. When she fell, her mouth hit the brick. As I was walking towards her, it didn't look real bad, just a little blood on her chin like she had scraped it. After I picked her up, blood started pouring out of her mouth. (I am not good with blood) I ran her into the house and to the kitchen sink so I could see how bad it was. Her tooth went all the way through her bottom lip and the inside of her lip was badly torn. I also noticed that one of her front teeth was pushed back behind the other. At this point, I was feeling very weak and faint. My whole body was clammy and I was seeing stars. Thankfully Paul was there!! I gave Lauren to him and ran to the couch to lay down. My first thought was to take her to the ER but Paul said we should call the doctor first. The doctor told us we should go to the dentist first. So, I got myself under control and took her to the dentist. Lauren was amazing!!!! She did not cry or make a noise at the dentist office. She did everything they asked her to do and was an angel. The dentist gave a couple of big pushes on her tooth and popped it back into place. The wound on her bottom lip had already closed together so he thought she would be fine without any stitches. The thing that I am most worried about is that he said her tooth could turn black and they may have to pull it out. I pray this does not happen. He said it could take weeks, months or a year for this to happen...we will just have to keep a watch on it. Poor baby girl has a huge lip but she seems to be doing well tonight. She wanted me to take a picture for Mamaw so I thought I would post them here as well.


Sorry about the dirty face...she was eating popsicles to help her lip feel better.



9 comments:

Karen Walden said...

Awwwwh!!! Poor baby girl! I hope it doesn't turn black on you either. What a brave little girl in the dentist office though! My kids would probably have been screaming!!!

Lisa said...

I'm so sorry little Lauren...you should see your little buddy Addison, he fell down while we were taking a walk and he was holding Springs dog leash at the time and got his pinkie...ouch!!! He is most likely going to loose his little pinkie nail...

lub ya Lauren...

Faith said...

Owwwww!! She was braver than I would have been! I'd have been blubbering all over the place. lol I hope she is all better real soon.

We add another tooth story to the family. Tab fell and banged her tooth really hard when she was little. I forget what she was doing at the time. It darkened some, but it only lasted until she lost her baby teeth, of course. Tim Jr fell down a flight of steps when he was like 2 yrs old and knocked a tooth out--including the root!

Phil.n.Jenn said...

Ouch, I know how you feel! Jeremiah tipped his chair and fell on the hard floor and bit through his lower lip. I remember all that blood. Scared me to no end. Oh the joys of mother hood! Give her our love!

Dorcas said...

Oh, the poor dear!! I hope the lip heals up without any problem and that the tooth will NOT turn dark or black and that she doesn't lose it. She's a really brave little girl!!!

Anonymous said...

Poor thing! She looks pretty happy now:) Of course she has to smile for Grandma. Hope it doesn't turn black either. Glad you didn't pass out...I knew Dave had issues with blood, but I didn't realize you did too. It's different when its your own child though. Proud of you!

Jenn said...

My kids haven't done anything that bad...yet. Chris fell and busted his head open last year, but didn't need stitches. He's got a hard head, I guess. Hope Lauren heals up OK.

Rebekah said...

Lauren, Enjoy those Popsicles and hope your tooth heals and doesn't turn black. So sorry to hear that you got hurt, but glad mommy and daddy were there to help you. Good girl for the dentist. I would have been hanging on for dear life to the dentist chair. Love, Grandma

Hannah Riggs said...

Oh Belinda! What a mess of a situation. I'm so glad to hear it all turned out okay. You've got a tough cookie!