Sunday, October 26, 2008

Family Adventure

Saturday we decided to go for a hike in the mountains of Garrapata State Park in Big Sur. The trail we chose took us almost 4 hours and was 5 miles of some very strenuous terrain. The first part was pretty easy and Lauren actually walked but about a mile in, the climbing began. The climb was very steep and tiring. Everyone who passed us was amazed at how well the girls were doing. They are such troopers!! Several times it looked like you were going to be at the top and when you got to that point, you realized that you still had a lot of climbing to do. The view was amazing! We were above the clouds. As we were climbing up, I was thinking that the easy part would be the trip down but boy was I wrong. The trail was actually a loop so when you got to the top, you didn't have to turn around and go back, you just continued on and it looped you back around and down the other side of the mountain. We headed down and it was so steep that at times you had to run which was really scary because of all the loose rocks. When you did run, you were not sure if you were going to be able to stop at the bottom. I must admit that I fell a couple time along the way. At one point Paul almost went flying out of control with Lauren on his back. My toes were so sore from pushing down into the end of my shoes while we were going down. It was quite an adventure! We were all worn out by the time we were done and Paul was especially tired since he had already run 11 miles that morning before we left. We have hiked before in the Grand Canyon and other places but I am pretty sure this trip was the hardest we have done. I look forward to our next hiking adventure. In fact, I think I want to do that trip again sometime.


Karissa



Lauren walking across the log


Lauren


Karissa enjoying the scenery


Kaitlyn, Karissa and Lauren



Beautiful



Paul with Lauren...she finally tired out



still walking


you can see some of the trail ahead of us


above the clouds...beautiful

12 comments:

Phil.n.Jenn said...

LOOKS BEAUTIFUL!!! Your girls look beautiful. They sure are growing. Reminds me of what philip said Mt Fuji was like. You would be going up a STEEP angle (He said it was VERY difficult) then when you were coming back down it was just zig zags. Which he said was the worst part.

tacomom said...

Great job! Pat yourselves on the back!! You got some great pictures, too!

Dorcas said...

Wow!! What an adventure this must've been. I'm sure you all slept well Saturday night :o)

lauralavon said...

Beautiful! Sweet pics of the girls and such a terrific place to hike! You all are making some wonderful memories!

Noah and Heather said...

Sounds like a lot of fun! But I know that I am not up to it right now!

Lisa said...

WOW Belinda that's awesome what you guys did...I would have loved it! You guys are so adventurous!!! I'm proud of your girls...they are tough! I already knew that though! :) Keep enjoying yourselves in Cal.
Lisa~

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a hike and such beautiful country. Glad you had such a fun day.

Rebekah said...

Wow, You guys are sure brave. I love the pic of Karissa hugging the tree and Lauren walking the log. She must be getting ready to come visit me here in the Amazon. lol
The picture of the 3 girls perched or hanging over that big tree is awesome, but scary. Way to go Girls! You will all be ready to come down and go traipsing with me in the jungle. Keep up the good work. Love you all. Grandma

Hannah Riggs said...

Boy do I admire your girls! I remember going on a hike with Randy in Colorado and I had a hard time with it. What beautiful scenery

Anonymous said...

Wow...you guys are brave!! I think your girls should model haha :)

Faith said...

Whew! Ya'll do the hiking and I'll do the looking at pictures. lol

Denise said...

Glad you had a great time! Hiking is so much fun and the scenery is beautiful.